Sweet Potato Fries with Rosemary
Now, who doesn't love fries? This I must say is a guilty pleasure of mine. My favourite are still sweet potato fries over the regular white potato fry though. Sweet potato fries tend to have the perception that they are healthier. Yes and no. Sweet potatoes have a ton of nutritional benefits, from being rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Manganese. Along with the antioxidants benefits and anti-inflammatory benefits from the Anthocyanin and other color related pigments. So these are all great points. However, what makes a sweet potato ok to indulge in or not is the type of oil used to cook them. Using a poor quality hydrogenated oil or an oil that has a low smoke point that will likely turn toxic once you heat it is not a healthier alternative to regular french fries. Every oil has a smoke point, here I used a combination of coconut oil and sesame oil, both which can withstand heat of up to 350 degrees (medium heat resistant we call it). These oils will then retain their nutritional value and not undergo a chemical breakdown and turn rancid upon heating. So, there you have it sweet potatoes CAN certainly be a healthy option, however be mindful with how you prepare them and if you are getting them from a restaurant they are most likely using poor quality oils.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 4 long stems of rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (do not heat higher than this temp, because sesame oil cannot withstand a higher heat before turning toxic)
- Peel sweet potato and cut into thin fries, note the thinner they are the faster they will cook
- In a large mixing bowl and using a marinating brush, lather fries in melted coconut oil and sesame oil
- In small mixing bowl, combine garlic, onion powder, cumin and fresh rosemary
- Pour seasoning into large mixing bowl and toss to coat sweet potato fries
- Bake for approx. 25 minutes (cooking time will depend how thin you cut the fries)
- Serve as a delicious side to any meal!